Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.

Friday, September 9, 2016

Birth story plus some happenings at home

She's here! Yay! Katherine Cobb Schneider made her grand debut at 9:18 Tuesday morning. She weighed 7 pounds, 9 ounces, and was 20 inches long.

It was a short but eventful labor. I checked in to the hospital at 3 a.m. By 4, they had started the pitocin and I started to have some very small contractions. Every half an hour or so, the nurse came in and increased the dosage. But at some point, the contractions actually started getting further apart. So when the doctor on for the day came in, she decided to break my water to see if that would help any. They did that around 8:15. Well that just kicked everything into gear. I was trying not to have an epidural (because I'm stupid and with Cooper it didn't work on one side and with Semmes it made me really sick from the blood pressure drops). But after about 45 minutes, I was already nauseous and just done. So I asked the nurse for an epidural. I had progressed from 4 cm to 6-7 cm, so I was able to have one. The anesthesia guy was there in no time and 4-5 contractions later, it was in. But as soon as he laid me down I felt an urge to push. So the nurse checked me again, and the baby was already in the birth canal. Lovely. The doctor came running, and after one push, the baby was born at 9:18 a.m. So the epidural was useless (it kicked in in time for me to not feel the one stitch I needed). Natural childbirth is no joke.

We were home the next day in time for Brad to pick up Cooper from kindergarten. Semmes decided that Tuesday afternoon would be a great time to get a fever plus a cold and throw up at school. So Wednesday he was home sick with my parents (thank goodness they were there!). He was waiting on the front porch when we got home. He gave us both big hugs, told us he "never" wanted to meet Katherine Cobb, took one look at my stomach, and asked if I was growing ANOTHER baby. Geez, thanks kid. 

Cooper got home with Brad and just laughed and laughed when he saw me. So that was great. He makes my heart happy. Then we showed him the baby. He promptly pushed her away. And every time she gets near him, he pushes and hits her. I'm sure he's thinking, "You already got me one of those and he's a terror. Whey would you get another one?"

Semmes went back to school on Thursday plus had karate. So he was TIRED last night. He wanted both Brad and I to go upstairs with him to put him to bed. We got into his tiny, twin-sized bed on either side of him, read him a Ranger Rick magazine, then just hugged on him. Just us and him. He told us that Katherine Cobb "hurts his feelings." I really hope that he warms up to her soon. It's just so sad. 

Anyway, things are going pretty good, other than all of that. She's super sweet, is eating well, sleeps all the time still, and is just the cutest. So enjoy the rest of these pictures!! (And yes, I'm wearing pajamas with owls on them; don't judge.)

1 comment:

Jen said...

She's amazing! Will be praying for your family. Love you!